Thursday 21 January 2016

A little snippet of history

A separate post for #20 of Clare's photo prompts: old.
 It was prompted partly by Books on day 14, and also by the fact that a friend who was here for dinner a couple of weeks ago asked to see the Bible, and the letter that is normally kept with it wasn't there. I found it within a couple of minutes of looking - after he had gone. So now it's recorded here along with photos. I don't know how this Bible came to be on our family bookshelves. But thirty-something years ago, when I needed to read a lesson in Irish in one of the cathedrals, there was the Bible on the shelf -  just what I needed. We don't, as far as I know, have any connections with the O'Brien family - but I do know an O'Brien with a keen interest in family and history, so a few years ago I sent her a photo of the book-plate and asked could she tell me anything about this particular Charlotte O'Brien. Sure enough, she could...






"I'm most intrigued at your "Irish Bible". Charlotte Grace O'Brien was born 23rd Nov 1845, and was 3 years old when her father, William Smith O'Brien, was transported to Tasmania in 1849. He returned to Ireland, and in 1863 was back in Co, Limerick, and his daughter Charlotte would have been 18. The O'Briends were not Irish speakers but were interested in all things nationalistic, so would have supported Douglas Hyde and the language movement. I have a life of Charlotte O'Brien...
She was a very interesting character, set up hostels in Cork & Canada for emigrant women, and was very interested and knowledgeable about botany and founded the Limerick Field Club etc....

I'll post my other photo prompts at the weekend.

3 comments:

Clare said...

This is wonderful . . . along with the history that goes with it . . . and the mystery of how it ended up on your book shelf. Thanks for sharing.

GrĂ¡ O'Neill said...

Fascinating, a lovely piece to have :)

Lorraine said...

I love the embossing on the cover. How fascinating that you were able to actually find out information about it. I also find the handwriting to be a great keepsake.