Saturday 22 September 2012

Purple in the woods

This was one of my favourites from the Sculpture in Context exhibition at the Botanic Gardens when we went recently. From a farther distance than the photos, I saw the splash of purple and thought maybe it was colchicums. Perhaps because I was too busy looking at it, I didn't pay a lot of attention when I heard something fall - C was ahead of me and I could see he hadn't dropped anything. It never occurred to me that I had - but a while later C informed me that the weight of the tripod had pulled the back flap on my rucksack open - and my portable hard drive was missing. Luckily I knew where I had heard something fall - so we got to see this beautiful creation twice. It was called Pretty Purple, created by Sarah McGloughlin, and seemed to be a mix of crochet, knitting and felt. A perfect example of a sculpture truly in context.







2 comments:

Julie M said...

How beautiful, Sabrina. I can see how you might think it was a flower patch from a distance.

Julie

Lorraine said...

I've been seeing some "yarn bombing" photos and wondered at the beauty being so wasted when it was cut off. This does not look like it would be wasted. Very pretty.