Monday 28 June 2010

Canal Walk - Men at Work

One day last week I was coming back from shopping, and I just missed getting through the level crossing before the gates came down. With the engine turned off and the window open, I could hear an unusual noise, but I assumed it was someone mowing a lawn or cutting a hedge, until I saw a pedestrian looking down the canal. I asked her was there something there, and she said yes - it was the first time she'd ever seen a boat. So I hopped out to have a look; it was the maintenance barge that we had seen moored further upstream on on of our longer winter walks. Then a train came through, and I had to hop back into the car, so that was that. But on Saturday we saw it in action, just as we were getting to the point where we'd decided to turn back. It was dredging all the algae growing on the surface - and very happy and cheerful the two guys on board looked, too.
 We caught up with them again when they'd turned at right angles to the bank, to unload all the dredged up stuff onto the back. They cover from the Twelfth Lock at Castleknock all the way up to Kilcock, keeping the canal clear and navigable.





Along the walk we passed sites of two or three small fires. This one looks as if somebody had been celebrating the end of their Leaving Certificate by burning at least one of their books! I wonder had they a special antipathy to English as a subject...

 Wonderful, wonderful rain just when I thought I was going to have to go out and water the garden before bed.

C's work colleague for whom I made the wedding cards asked for a Christening card for her 2 year-old grandson. I don't have any suitable stamps or dies, so this is what I came up with. Just as well she likes it, because I don't know what I would have used it for if she hadn't!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Boy, that is some machine. They look quite happy like you said. I wonder if what they dredge up is usable as natural fertilizer? Isn't amazing what some people do to celebrate? Last year this time our mailbox was a victim of a "celebration" of sorts. Still has the dent! Love the card - the cross is beautifully done.