Thursday 4 March 2010

Liffey Birds

Two pictures, neither of which is very good. It was very cold this morning - I have other pictures of both the cormorant (or shag, I can never work out which it is) and the swan when you can see their breath in the cold air. And it was also very bright.
I like this one of the swan, even though it's not great, because there really was a sparkle on the water just like in the photo, as I was looking down the river towards the sun.. It captures the feel of the moment.

And the cormorant - or shag; I love seeing these, they fly along above the river like bombers. As I'd seen one fly down-river this morning, it was real surprise, when I was watching the gulls, to suddenly see another one surface. While I see them by the dozen along the coast between Bray and Greystones, I've never seen more than one at a time on the Liffey.  I've also never managed any sort of a photo before, so while this one is not great, it's a start!! I even managed one of it diving - but if you didn't know what it was, you'd certainly never be able to tell. Shame I didn't get one of it with the fish in its beak after a successful dive.

1 comment:

MariLynn said...

Cool photos. I don't think I've ever seen a cormorant.