Tuesday 29 December 2009

Travel Europe

The technique challenge on SCS yesterday was the Van Gogh technique. There were quite a lot of sunflowers out - and they reminded me of this photo from France, 1995 or 96. We took the car over, stayed with friends, camped, and then went back and picked F up to bring her back home with more luggage than she could normally carry when she flew. It was a lovely holiday...this was from the camping part, down in the Loire Valley, somewhere near Angers.


I know it's Christmas, but for lunch today we had Flaounes, which are Easter Cheese Breads from Cyprus. My original recipe called for mozarella, the ones I checked out today called for halloumi, which is much more authentic. But I've tried both, and don't see a significant difference. I can get good mozarella locally, so that's what I go with:
FLAOUNES    makes approximately 12, I halve the amounts.
Ingredients
1 1/2 lb strong white floer
1 sachet yeast (unless you're lucky enough to be able to get fresh easily - I wish!)
1 tsp salt, 2 tsp sugar, 2 tblsp olive oil, lukewarm water to mix.
Make a dough and leave to rise in a warm place till doubled.
Prepare a filling with:
8 oz coarsely grated cheddar cheese
4 oz coarsely grated halloumi or mozarella
1 tblsp plain flour, 1 tblsp or more dried mint, 1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs, lightly beaten.

Mix the cheeses in a bowl, add the eggs and then stir in the flour, baking powder and mint.
Divide the dough into twelve to fourteen pieces, and roll out into 4" circles. Put a generous heaping spoon of the filling into the centre, spread out slightly. You can either gather up the 3 points of the triangle or 4 corners of a square to pinch together at the top, to hold the filling in. I like 4 - it keeps the filling in better for me. Leave to rise again for at least half an hour. Brush with beaten egg, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake in a hot oven (Gas 8, 220C, 425F) for about 12-15 minutes till golden. I like them warm, and I have to admit I like to have butter on the bready bits. But I wouldn't in Greece - their butter isn't so good, and their flour is different and makes lovely bread.



Never been to Cyprus, but here's a little Corfiot house to go with the Greek theme. When we learned Greek, our teacher was from Cyprus; although he'd been in Ireland most of his life, he was still a proud ambassador of all good things Greek.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

That field of sunflowers is a treat for the eyes. And those flaounes sound delicious. A great recipe for any holiday I'm guessing.

jovialjudi said...

Gorgeous pictures and your flaounes sure do have my mouth watering! I find cooking to be so relaxing. Do you? Thanks for the books you mentioned. I will be checking to see if my library has them in. Talk soon! Hugs,Judi