Thursday 10 December 2009

Birds and more birds


On Monday I linked to Lorraine's beautiful bird ornaments. Well - the most wonderful package was waiting for me at the post office today, including this lovely goldfinch, which will be a treasured decoration for the Christmas tree for years to come. I am amazed at the detail, right down to a catchlight in the eye. I guess I have to add goldfinches to my growing list of birds that are different in the States and here, even though they have the same name. Hmmm, what was that I was reading only this morning in Colin Tudge's The Secret Life of Birds about the Linnaean system making identification easy even internationally.
Thank you, Lorraine - for everything in that lovely parcel.

Lovely sunny day, so a few bird photos. I don't like magpies, but there's no denying that they are quite beautiful birds. The little coaltit - not the best of photos. And yet another robin, but I like this one because it shows the two little fluffy white stripes. I don't know if that's part of his juvenile foliage, I don't ever remember noticing it on robins before.



The SCS photo challenge this week was sparkle, shimmer and shine. Our tree won't be going up for at least another week, but this morning I was struck by how the strong low sunshine was reflecting off all the glass in the building and reflecting on the Liffey.

No comments: