Monday 27 July 2009

At last...

C had a friend staying over the weekend, so on Sunday morning I was busy getting dinner organised. But within a couple of minutes of putting some seeds and nuts in the feeder, along came the usual sparrows, and also this Great Tit. He was even still there by the time I'd changed the lens on the camera. He seems to be much shyer than the sparrows, so I had to take the pictures through the glass door. If it's fine tomorrow, when I'm not working, I'll fill the feeder and then just sit quietly and see if he comes again. He's so scruffy that I can't help wondering if it's a juvenile.

The little robin fledgling came back too - he's just so adorable.


For anyone who likes reading, can I recommend "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Burrows. And then can I recommend it again!I spotted on Judy Rozema's blog that she had been reading it with her book club. As I once worked in Guernsey, I went off to check it out, and when I was ordering something else from Amazon I bought it. Quite apart from all the memories it brought back of my time in Guernsey, it was such a delightful and charming book. As it is set just after the war it deals a bit with the German occupation of the island, which I knew quite a bit about. So some pages make you almost want to cry, but then on the next page you are laughing again at the wonderful characters. I wasn't sure if C would like it, as I think it's probably more of a woman's book. I was going to lend it to his mother first, as I know she will love it. But he picked it up when he'd finished his latest P.G. Wodehouse book and he's hooked.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I loved that book and have recommended it myself. Although I have to admit that I couldn't get out school staff book club to go for it once I told them that it was historical fiction. They don't know what they're missing!!!

Your bird pictures are wonderful. I envy how close you are able to get, and so clearly. There's a pair of very skittish bluebirds in our backyard and I've been trying to get some good pics of them. Unfortunately, they are very camera shy.